Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Pumpkin Birthday Cake WITH Cream Cheese Icing

I love cookies, pies, oooey gooey brownies, but I gotta say I have never been a real big fan of cake. I don't know why. I think it's my extreme love of chocolate, nothing competes. But this cake is AWESOME! It's really really good AND super easy to make!

A coworker gave me this recipe and I had to give it a shot, becasue it was so easy and because you don't really get that many opportunities to use pumpkin on any given day. A friend of mine happens to really like pumpkin things, and was also having a Birthday (he's old!), so it was a perfect opportunity to give this one a shot.


2 cups Flour
2 tsp Cinnamon
1 tsp Baking Powder
2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
2 cups oil (mmhmmm thats why its so moist and yummy!)
4 eggs
2 cups canned pumpkin
1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice

Side note: I hate nutmeg, so I leave out the pumpkin pie spice and bump up the cinnamon to 3 tsp.

Mix all ingredients, pour into two greased and floured cake pans, and bake at 350 for 35-40 mins.

See?! I told you it was easy!

But the frosting is what makes it!

8 oz (room temp really really helps) cream cheese
1/4 lb butter (again rm. temp is much easier)
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 box of powerdered sugar (I have never in my whole life bought or even seen powdered sugar in a box, so I had no idea what that meant... I just added by the 1/2 cup until it tasted good, just go for it!)

Mix all ingredients and beat the crapola out of it with a hand mixer. It will get really nice and fluffy, and ohhhhhh sooooooo gooooood!



It was pretty darn awesome. 



2 comments:

  1. Looks awesome! Especially for as easy as it sounds. Typically, I'm not big on cake either. Just not chewy enough - I'm big on texture.
    I have several pumpkin recipes that I go to frequently. Our favorite cookie is a pumpkin chocolate chip - leans more toward cakey texture as opposed to chewy. Has some oats thrown in for good measure.
    The pumpkin cake that I make also includes chocolate chips and gets a drizzle of melted chocolate or a dusting of powdered sugar. The texture leans more towards a pound cake with that one. Really simple and goes into a bundt pan.
    Then there's a pumpkin roll with a cream cheese based filling. Let me know if you're interested in any recipes.

    Susan
    owlsnest@nktelco.net

    ReplyDelete
  2. ohhhh wow! All of the above, please! Especially the roll... and the bundt. I like the more dense stuff so bring em on!

    ReplyDelete