Saturday, March 6, 2010

Gooey Sticky Buns / Cinnamon Rolls / Pecan Rolls... you get the picture

On a weekly basis I get together with a group of friends who kindly welcome the chance to be my ginueapigs for new recipes. This weeks food theme was brefass.... (for those of you that don’t know, that’s breakfast in Jacxie speak).  So the natural baked good to go with that was Cinnamon Rolls/Sticky Buns/ Pecan Rolls... or whatever you wanna call them. I prefer Gooey Sticky Goodness!

So, I found three different recipes that I combined into one, to cut down on confusion, and having three different recipes flying around on your counter as you are baking like I did I will just combine them on here for you!

Dough:
2 Packages Active Dry Yeast
½ cup warm water (roughly 110 ˚ see note on pizza dough entry)
½ cup milk
½ cup sugar
1 tsp salt
½ cup crisco
2 large eggs beaten
4 ½ cups flour

Gooey-ness:
1 cup better
1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1 cup chopped pecans

Insides:
4 tbs butter
1 cup sugar
4 tsps cinnamon

Dissolve yeast in warm water in a large bowl and set aside. Heat milk, sugar, salt and crisco in a small saucepan to 115 ̊ Do not boil, boiling would kill the yeast and or scramble the eggs... eeew. Slowly stir milk mixture and beaten eggs into yeast mixture. Beat in 2 cups of flour to begin, then stir in as much of the remaining flour to make a soft dough. Turn onto a floured surface, KNEAD for 5 minutes slowly adding more flour to prevent sticking. (Knead being in all caps because if you mistakenly wedge your dough... it won’t raise like it is supposed to and while the end product will be good, they won’t be nearly as big and fluffy and soft as they are meant to be). Form dough into a ball and place into a large greased bowl, turn the dough to coat, cover with a damp cloth, and put in a warm place to raise for an hour and a half (SHOULD double in size if knead your dough in the proper way... sorry I can’t give tips on this as I am still trying to learn it myself.)

Melt ½ cup of butter in each of two 13x9x2 inch pans. Stir in half of brown sugar and pecans into each or add pecans to just one so your super picky husband will eat at least half of them. My husband has something against nuts... so one batch was with pecans and the other without. Obviously, the one with was better, he may never know what he is missing out on.

In separate bowl mix 1 cup sugar and cinnamon. After dough has risen, punch down and divide in half. Roll half of dough out to 15x13in rectangle, spread with 2 tbsp butter, and sprinkle liberally with half of cinnamon sugar. (For the pecan pan, I also chopped some extra pecans and sprinkled them inside, this made the next step of slicing a little more challenging, but the end product was that much more nutty!) Roll dough from long side, seal seam and slice into roughly 15 – 1in rolls. Place slices on top of brown sugar mixture in pans. Repeat with second half of dough. Cover again with damp cloth and put in a warm place to rise for 30 minutes... (again they are supposed to double in size making for super fluffy rolls) Mine did not rise AT ALL at this point...)

Heat oven to 375˚ Bake 25-30 minutes. Be careful and keep an eye on them when you are nearing the end of that time allotment. As I am sure you can see in my picture the bottom left corner of the pan on the right was left a little too long and all that gooey brown sugar burns pretty easily! (Again I hate my electric oven and its hot spots). Invert pans into wax paper lined trays (or pretty serving platters) leave pans in place for 5 minutes before serving. Remove pans and serve warm.

As these were traveling to a friend house I did not follow that last step. I think it would be awesome for presentations sake, but instead once I got to her house I just threw them back in the oven for 10 minutes to make them all gooey again. They weren’t as pretty, and we had to kinda swirl them around in the gooeyness in the pan to get a good amount on em, but they were mmm mmmm good!



See all the space in between the rolls? Yeah, if I knew how to properly knead dough, the rolls would have risen enough to touch and fill up the pans... One day I will try them again.
After I have perfected my kneading skills, to see if I can make fluffy rolls, instead of little hard rolls.

No comments:

Post a Comment